Tuesday, October 14, 2008

ZA Critique: Silent Hill 2

The peak of the series, in my opinion. You can only eat an apple like a Silent Hill game once, after that you're just pining for the first hit.

I think it was Leigh Alexander's review for SH 5 that said something like, "and yes, all the vagina zombies are back for you longtime fans". Reading that gave me this weird image of a universe where David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' was wildly financially successful and spawned an entire genre of freakish, nightmare films that force reviewers to note, "and yes, the crying alien baby is back for all you long time fans."

Gads,enough rambling. I finally finished the Lester Bangs book and have started Pauline Kael's 'I Lost It At The Movies'. I'm enjoying it a lot (except having to wiki all these movies I've never heard of) but the huge shift in style is reminding me how old-fashioned and conservative my taste in art really is. Except, y'know, this whole video game thing...

2 comments:

Hyde said...

She reviews some ace movies in that book, I read that one a looooong time ago. Put Earrings of Madame De at the top of the queue if you haven't seen that one. The Criterion disk is loaded with extra stuff.

Kirk Battle said...

I'll have to give it a gander...so far she has just been arguing a bunch of cultural and philosophical points about art and being a critic. I'm curious if she can sell me on a product I've never seen before.