Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wii Fit Update

I did a review on Wii Fit a while back but I thought I'd give an update. Not on my appearance mind you, I'm still the exact same weight. I do think my stomach and love handles have molded into this...if you've ever seen the 'Ren & Stimpy' where Ren injects fat into his body so that it looks like muscle you'd get an understanding of the shift. Still...it looks good. I'm praying another game will explore the cardio-vascular end of things since I can't afford a gym membership.

Anyways, the thing I wanted to point out was how the game's little tweaks are becoming increasingly bizarre. After hitting about 60 hours, the Wii Fit girl undid her pony tail. All my exercises with her are now with her hair down and I swear she smiles more often. The game has also blissfully stopped trying to make me work out with the male instructor. There's no way in Hell I'm going to look at a generic video game guy's ass while I'm standing in downward dog. Equally strange are the moments where Wii Fit Girl walks into the gym yawning and complaining about staying out too late last night. Personalizing the characters in a game are one thing...but creating virtual sexual tension with your gym instructor is quite another.

Now that Wii Fit girl's hair is down...one has to wonder what else the game is going to do in terms of incentives. What happens when the clock hits 100? And when, oh when, am I going to work up the courage to ask her out for a drink?

2 comments:

pixelvixen707 said...

Talk about emergent gameplay, wokaa wokaa.

I didn't last nearly enough to get there, so thanks for that tip. (I chose the female instructor too - I've heard like almost everyone, male or female, does. I just don't like to be judged ... ?)

Kirk Battle said...

I imagine it will be a couple of years before culturally we are all willing to discuss what makes a virtual person attractive and induce real emotion. Even with literature, people will talk about characters with a hefty degree of emotional distance.

Which is an artsy-fartsy way of saying I'm not sure I can quite admit to myself that the female Wii Fit instructor is really hot and pleasant to be around. It's an interesting question, perhaps one worth a blog post. Why does everyone find the Wii Fit guy creepy and the girl fun? I'll have to sit down and do a work-out with him and think about it...