Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blackwell Convergence Review

I'm a fan of Dave Gilbert's games when he's doing something dramatic and serious. The Shivah and Blackwell Unbound both really impressed me for having character arcs and interesting stories mixed with an intense murder mystery. This entry in the series ended up annoying me because it fell more in line with his recent work making more commercial titles. I don't mind those games, but they always feel like a step backwards in terms of pushing the medium. If it were anyone else I wouldn't bitch, but Gilbert was one of the guys who got the adventure game genre back on its feet with his edgier stuff. I ended up giving it the same score I gave his last game because it was still a high quality plot with mostly good puzzles.

Still...I hope he doesn't totally rule out making darker games.

No comments: