Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Monkey Island: Special Edition

If you follow me on Twitter, then you already know what I think of this game. I also already heard most of the flaws in my complaints, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

I'm a big fan of Monkey Island. I was a big fan of the idea of a remake. But my basic understanding of how a remake works is that you modernize and adjust the experience to meet a new audience while still holding appeal for the original fans. This game instead opted to feed the purist fanbase and keep the game exactly the same. You can now alternate between the original game and a graphically improved version, which means that visually everything looks exactly the same except glossy in the new mode. When they do apply new art, it mostly works fine, except for Guybrush (the HAIR). Finally, the interface in the new version is terrible. Even during the twitter argument proponents of the game admitted they just used hotkeys the entire time. Can you imagine playing this game if this was your first time?

I'm not going to praise a remake that adds nothing new except bad character art and a bad interface.

2 comments:

Erik said...

I'd never actually gotten around to playing the original, so I played the re-skinned version off XBL. I thought it was pretty good, and didn't mind the control scheme they used there.

Kirk Battle said...

You're the second person whose said the XBL version works alright. I got it off Steam.